Postdoctoral Fellowships Program
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help to a core of the very promising scientists at a time that is pivotal their jobs. The fellowships may also be designed to secure a way to obtain very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal federal government and organizations.
Are you entitled to a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, at the time of the deadline date for the year by which you use, you need to:
- be A canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to put up a doctorate in another of the areas of research that NSERC supports.
- You are able to use only one time to the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit only 1 application per 12 months to a single granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or even the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC). You mustn't have previously received an award that is postdoctoralincluding a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You have to have finished all demands of one's degree that is doctoral no than couple of years ahead of the deadline date of the season where you use.
Note: This isn't the conferred or convocation date suggested in your transcript, but rather the date on which all of the needs of one's level had been met, such as the effective defence and distribution regarding the corrected copy of one's thesis. For candidates with an increase of than one doctoral level, the conclusion date of one's newest doctoral level will soon be utilized to find out your eligibility.
- When you have acquired at the very least half a year of full-time appropriate work in industry or federal government (expertise in an organization or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories won't be considered) when you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you'd your job dramatically interrupted because of disease or health-related family members obligations, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- When you have completed a non-research based medical residency system once you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within couple of years after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you'd your job somewhat interrupted as a result of parental, medical and/or family-related obligations, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of completion of one's PhD, you feel the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a young child, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to six years.
- Then you may be asked by NSERC to provide additional information and/or supporting documentation if you are subject to an extended eligibility period. Any submission that is such NSERC is only going to be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility towards the system. If you want to inform the review committee of delays and/or circumstances that could have impacted your performance and/or efficiency, you might do this into the Special Circumstances part of the applying.
Where are you able to hold your fellowship?
You'll hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other research that is appropriate in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You can't hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal government laboratories or perhaps in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages you to definitely undertake research which involves collaboration along with other organizations that are canadian. The character associated with proposed collaboration must be appropriate to your host organization.
- You may possibly hold a PDF abroad only when you have got gotten your doctorate from the Canadian organization.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining contact with various research surroundings. You're not allowed to put on your fellowship during the institution that is sameor its affiliated hospitals, research organizations as well as other laboratories) where you received your doctorate. Nevertheless, you may request an exclusion that'll be considered by the selection committee. The demand must certanly be centered on medical reasons (for instance, proximity to needed health care facilities), household reasons (for instance, a partner's job) or systematic reasons (as an example, accessibility to specific gear), which can make it excessively hard for you really to keep a specific organization. Even when your exclusion is awarded, you aren't allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You may be motivated to incorporate a alternative location for your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion just isn't authorized.
- You might perhaps perhaps not support the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, even when your manager modifications research institutions.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may impact your residency status in Canada. You may possibly need to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How can you use?
You are able to make an application for a PDF by doing and publishing Form 201, connecting supporting documents if required. See the directions on how best to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the application electronically before 8:00 p.m. (ET) on 17 october. Incomplete applications will likely to be refused.
Apart from personal contact information, NSERC will likely not accept any modifications or updates to the job after it was submitted. Individual contact information might be updated by delivering a contact to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review procedures and selection criteria
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application based on the selection criteria described into the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships products. observe that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing award concern to meritorious candidates whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a lady, if enough funds become available. The choice committees are arranged in accordance with the after discipline that is broad:
- Civil and industrial engineering
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Ecology and evolution
- Cellular and biology that is molecular
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic rule (see a number of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined from the application will figure out the choice committee when the application is supposed to be examined. NSERC may designate the applying up to a various committee if it determines that the niche matter is more appropriate for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee people to consistently guard from the possibility for unconscious bias affecting the process that is decision-making whether these biases derive from a school of thought, fundamental versus used research, certain official site sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including appearing people), size or trustworthiness of an institution, age, gender and/or other individual facets of this applicant.
NSERC is performing on the data that equity, variety and addition bolster the medical and engineering communities in addition to quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should reference concerns 5 to 7 within the Guide for Candidates: Considering equity, variety and inclusion in the job to find out more.
In planning their application, candidates should consult the choice requirements and indicators part and Appendix an associated with Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools which supplies of good use informative data on what committee people look out for in evaluating applications. Candidates must also read the guidelines for finishing an application – Form 201.
Candidates are selected and evaluated based on:
- Analysis potential(70 and ability%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
NSERC will alert all candidates of this outcomes by the end of January. NSERC will not offer outcomes by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (along with other basic award information) of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To find out more, begin to see the use of Ideas Act therefore the Privacy Act.
Conditions associated with award
Relate to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about holding the honor, such as for example acceptance, start date, deferment, paid parental leave, keeping the honor for a part-time foundation, etc.